Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Girl in the Gatehouse


I’m about as big ‘a Jane Austen fan as you can find.  Regency period certainly has it’s place.  The Girl in the Gatehouse was well received by many, therefore, I was eager to partake.  (The girl on the cover?  I want her dress!)  However, I can only say that it was, for me, just ok.  Now, ring the bell for tea, Kitty.

Book rating:  Here a little, there a little

There was a whole-lotta stuff going on in this book.  I was overwhelmed.  In fact there was SO much that I almost felt like I was reading a mystery/romance/drama/something-else.  So, as you can guess it was a bit much for my meager brain to digest.

Mariah Aubrey  is sent away to live by herself, essentially, away from all “polite” society.  What has she done to deserve such a fate?  I can’t tell.  She resides in the gatehouse of a distant and somewhat mysterious relative.  It is here that she gets to know the handsome Matthew Bryant.  When he leases the estate on which Mariah resides, he finds he can’t quite keep away from this bewitching beauty.

Now, there is just so much that goes on I feel that I am highly incapable of summarizing it for you.  In short:  crazy stuff happens and I think you are really gonna like it.  How's that for ambiguity?!  *teehee* If you prefer a more simple story this may not be your thing, but it’s made plenty of readers pretty dang happy.  So when you read it let me know what you think.

I was honestly very, very surprised to learn that this book won the 2011 Christy Award for Historical Romance. I would have voted for Within My Heart, hands down.  (You can read my review for that one if you're curious...) But, that’s just me.

Happy Reading!

4 comments:

  1. I just finished this today. It took me about 3-4 days to read it and that's a long time for me. I agree with your review on it. I skimmed a lot but other parts were really good I couldn't put the book down. I might get it just to add to my book collection but probably something I wouldn't read again unless I was bored with everything else and with Short Straw Bride I don't think boredom is an option either, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised it was so well received. Not that it's a terrible book or anything, I just didn't care for it myself. LOL I agree with you.

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with you on this one. I am trying to get thru it now and it is putting me to sleep. I guess I am not in love with the characters. I am on ch 18 and I keep hoping it will pick up. This is the first Klassen book I've read, and I am hoping the others will be more interesting. I know she is a popular author so it must be just this one book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Julie Klassen's writing style and stories. I have to say that I do agree with your review on this particular story. I admit that it is probably my least favorite, but I'm really scratching my head on why you haven't reviewed her other books. I read "The Silent Governess" first and fell in love with her books. Maybe give another of her books a try? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...hopefully. :)

    ReplyDelete