Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Measure of a Lady


Holy.  Stinking.  Cow.  This is definitely one of my favorites.  I have read it several times and I love it more and more.  I’m not even really sure where to start in my review of this book.  Let me have a brain-cleansing moment real quick, (that means I will eat some chocolate) and I’ll be right with you...

Book rating:  Best of the Best

I simply cannot tell you how much I love this story.  The unique message in this book is magnificent.  Rachel Van Buren is much like myself—brown hair, brown eyes, 5’6”, (lol) with a strong determination to do her best in the sight of the Lord.  Maybe that’s why I like it--because I see myself, and even all my faults in this character.  I can relate to her.  She cares deeply about doing the right thing, but continually finds herself wondering if she is really following God’s path of love.  Her humility and true longing for right is so dang beautiful.

Now, what can a person say about Johnnie Parker?  Johnnie, Johnnie, Johnnie.  These two characters are F.A.B.U.O.L.O.U.S!  The handsome, good hearted Johnnie has left a life of Christ (but he comes back, don't worry) and is now running a poker house/saloon of sorts, and in the San Francisco gold rush of 1849, he is doing pretty well for himself.  But when Rachel and her two younger siblings need a place to stay, he offers to help.  And that is where all the fun begins!

I have been known to read this book while holding it in one hand, folding laundry with the other and at the same time carrying on a complete (and very good I might add) conversation with my three year old.  Amazing right?  That is how captivating this story is.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment