Friday, April 27, 2012

The Doctor's Lady


Do you like a good rescue?  Raise your hand and say, “Me!  I do!”  Good.  Because this book is loaded, and you won’t be disappointed.  I can’t get enough of the heroine being rescued by the leading man.  It’s great romance.
 
Book rating:  Best of the Best

The first thing you’re gonna want to know about this book is that it’s based on truth.  That fact alone makes the book worth reading.  It’s another one of those stories where the couple has to get married when they really don’t want to and eventually end up falling in love.  Hehehe!  Those are so much fun.  

The leading lady is Priscilla White, a young woman determined to be a missionary no matter what.  Eli is a doctor traveling to Oregon territory, also determined to serve God.  However, the only way for them both to do that is by becoming man and wife.  He is convinced she will not survive the treacherous journey, but she does her best to prove him wrong.  There are many dangers along the way, and that’s where the rescuing comes in.  Love it!  I have to say that one of my favorite characters is a supporting role, by the name of Mabel.  I loved her faith and strength.

This book is full of wonderful faith-promoting lessons, and the romance is first rate.  It does seem at times like the dangers just never stop and at first you may feel like, “Sheesh! This could never really happen.  This is over the top.” Cuz, that’s exactly what I thought the first time I read it.  (Yes, I have read it more than once.) But when you read about the history, it’s not far from the truth.  SPOILER ALERT:  OK, not a total spoiler, but when I read the very, very end where you learn more about what happened to these people in real life, I was completely shocked and saddened!  One thing's for sure though, when you are in the service of God; fear departs when faith endures.

Bottom line: great story, great message, great book.

Happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderfully, amazing book! I LOVED it! Although I think the characters on here have the worst 'luck' but I love how she brought them together in the end. I'm anxious to read more of Jody Hedlunds books....especially the new one coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your reviews, Amber! I've read this one last week because you've recommended it and I loved it! Beautiful story! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Beata! Thank you for commenting!! I'm so happy you enjoyed this story! :) I loved it too, in fact I've read it a few times. :) Hope you have a blessed day!!

      Delete