Monday, March 16, 2015

The new Cinderella movie equals perfection and I Must. Watch. Again.

I might be the biggest Cinderella fan in the known universe. That is not an exaggeration. Well... okay maybe it's a slight exaggeration, but still--it's close! I have loved that story from the moment I first saw the animated movie and heard, "So This Is Love". The story--divine! The romance--sheer perfection! I mean, come on folks, you can't find a tale more perfectly woven than that of the cinder girl and the handsome prince. At least, I can't find one, anyway.

So, allow me to issue my first review of a movie. (Not saying I'll make a habit of this, but ladies, this movie deserves it.)

Rating: Uh, pretty much this movie sets the precedent. So ya. Best of the Best.




(You can't take it, can you?? I know you can't, because I can't!!!!You look at that picture and you want to die, because you have found movie-poster-heaven. And if a movie POSTER gets you that excited--just wait. Look at the way he's looking at her!!!! LOOK!!! Look at his coat and his sword and her dress! GAH!)

So years ago when it was first announced that they were doing a live-action Cinderella, I cried, "Blasphemy! They'll ruin it!"

Fast forward to the first time I saw the trailer. I kid you not, I was screaming with such delight the kids rushed in to the office thinking I'd been stabbed. Speaking through my delight, my voice rose three octaves and it wasn't until I showed my daughters the 2 minutes of bliss that they finally understood why I was acting like a lunatic. It's cool. They're used to it.

My hopes had lifted to dangerous heights. It actually looked good. Really good. So either I was going to love it, or I was going to be super disappointed I ever wasted a dime seeing it in the theater and would be forced to cleanse my mind for days by watching the old one. I told myself, if nothing else, the prince looked super handsome. (#richardmaddenisthebestprincecharmingever Tweet THAT!)

Now fast forward again to last Saturday when my life changed forever. Seriously, changed!! The movie was perfect!!! Utterly and completely perfe--

Hey. Come on now! None of that. You know how I am about these kinds of things--and I'm the one writing this review so I can be as dramatic as I want, capiche?! Allow me to continue...

It was perfection!! If I could, I would tackle Kenneth Branagh and give him one heck of a smacker. I would change absolutely nothing about this film. And that is saying something, because again, I AM just about the BIGGEST fan IN the universe. Cinderella is my girl and Ken did her proud. The script, the plot, the acting, the sets, the costumes, the cast, the tension, the tenderness, the ROMANCE and the message of courage and kindness just about killed me. Cinderella is all sweetness and strength just as she should be, while the Prince embodies everything my girlish heart imagined he would be--as good as he was handsome and as strong in body as he was in character.

What's wrong with loving princes and princesses? What's wrong with women being women and men being men? What's wrong with ladies desiring to be treated with respect and love by gentlemen--as if that somehow makes us weak? I'm so tired of that! I hope this movie blows the box office to smithereens. I hope the makers of Fifty Shades of Sluttiness see what the world is really craving--beautiful, uplifting tales of pure, undefiled love.

HAPPY VIEWING!!!

6 comments:

  1. Fab-YOU-lous review, as always, dear Amber! I can't wait to see this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, finally a good review of it! I have only heard a few bad ones and it was making me leery of seeing it, even though it looked fantastic. I am a castle loving closet princess - so I was hoping it would be wonderful. You have given me hope! Have you ever seen the movie "Ever After"? To-die-for dreamy fairy-tale princess romance, in my humble opinion. :) I was hoping this was up to par with that! Can't wait to see it now. Thank you once again for a fun and squeal-tastic review, Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a riot!!!

    So, tell us how you REALLy feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to see it yesterday with some friends. We are all over 60, OK, over 65. The chap taking the tickets just shook his head. It was delicious, and I'll no doubt get the DVD so I can see it again. If you are into Cinderella, and can get a hold of it, try watching THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE. It is a musical version of Cinderella from 1976 with Richard Chamberlain & Gemma Craven. The music is lovely and there is a lot of humor in it. You can find it on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your enthusiasm! I'm a big Cinderella fan too. My daughter and I saw the movie and both really loved it. Wasn't everything about it just beautiful? We will be adding it to our other favorite Cinderella movie, Ever After. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is AMEN! Loved loved loved the movie! Took my husband kicking and screaming and HE liked it. And it doesn't hurt that two of the actors are from Downton Abby! (Sigh...)

    ReplyDelete