Monday, November 5, 2012

A Promise to Love


I would categorize this book in the "mildly satisfying as far as romance is concerned" category.

Book Rating: Here a little, there a little

As my opening statement suggests, I read this book looking forward to a great romance--cuz it had AH-MAZING potentiel, but in my opinion it fell short. Let me explain why...

Ingrid Larsen is looking for her brother who has disappeared into the lumber camps of Michigan. (This was a fact that I felt was not touched on too greatly for a large portion of the book actually...) She "crosses paths" with Joshua Hunter--a man who has just lost his wife and has been left with five children. She offers to marry him and whammo--they are husband and wife--and they don't even know each other! I was expecting there to be tons of great romantic tension, but I just didn't really feel it...bummer.

There is a lot of fun mystery and excitement surrounding Joshua's former wife's death. In fact at times I thought it was a bit creepy, but in the end I just felt plain sorry for the woman. I don't want to give too much away--but I wasn't clear on whether she had a condition that made her that way, or if she was just "bad." (You'll have to tell me what you think!)

Ingrid was a likable gal. However, the fact that she spoke such broken English made it difficult for me to connect with her for some reason. I also almost got this feeling that she was too strong and didn't really have any weaknesses. I like to see a heroine really growing in some way.

And Joshua, well, I liked him alright, but he wasn't the kind of hero that makes your knees go weak or anything. I had a hard time getting close to his character as well. Am I the only one that feels this way?

As for the spiritual aspect of things, I thought it was very nice and I found it uplifting and encouraging.

I do really like Miller's style and I thought she kept the action going and did an excellent job of keeping me hooked, but I just would have liked a lot more romance.

Happy Reading!
Buy It!

*Thank you to Revell for providing me with a free review copy*

No comments:

Post a Comment